Today, the profession of a web design company in the USA is becoming increasingly popular. If a company needs a website, it’s easier to turn to a person who understands this area.
If you are considering becoming a web designer but do not know where to start, read this post. You will learn what a typical day of web design consists of and what skills you need to become one.
What a web designer does
Here are some examples of tasks that web designers perform:
- Creation of one-page websites and landing pages;
- Creation of online stores;
- Creation of web applications;
- Preparing sketches and wireframes of web products;
- Using HTML and CSS for layouts;
- Coding the backend using PHP or other languages (sometimes);
- Develop complex graphic design elements, logos, layouts, banners;
- Domain registration of various projects on the Internet;
- SEO and content creation (for freelance designers who work alone).
A web designer should be well-versed in color scheming and branding and have some knowledge of psychology to attract as many visitors to the site as possible. A good web designer is also attentive to the needs of clients to make a useful website.
What does it take to become a web designer?
A web designer’s work in a professional UX/UI design agency requires attention to detail and perseverance. There are several ways you can become a web designer from scratch.
- You can study at a university or in the digital academy online. This is a good option for an absolute beginner but rather costly. What can you do if you have no money but want to study web design?
- Then there is another way – through trial and error. Of course, it will be much longer, and many give up without even trying. But feel free to search for free video tutorials, read articles, make websites for free for review. This is a budget option that many professionals have already tested on themselves.
Key web designer skills
First of all, a web designer must understand and combine colors and work with photos and images. They have to work with layouts and smartly place the content on the web page. Sometimes they also work with branding, for example, drawing logos and other identity elements.
Despite what many might think, knowledge of programming is optional. For standard tasks, you can use website builders like WordPress or Wix. WordPress is a powerful constructor of websites used even by large companies for their online stores and blogs. However, they still need a web designer’s help to customize the website and tune the elements to meet their business goals.
Communication in this profession is also important. Be prepared because you will have to talk to people very often, make calls, and be constantly in touch with your team, coordinating various details, even the smallest ones. It will be most convenient to provide the customer with access to the site to make adjustments in the process, not at the very end.
Creating your first website step by step
- The first step is to talk with the customer. Understand his vision of the project.
- Having determined the project’s type and how the work process will be organized, study the target audience, their problems, and needs.
- Outline a short plan of how you see this project, after discussing it with the customer. Do not spend a lot of time at this stage. It is needed only for sketches.
- Next is the initial design study. After the customer approves this stage, go to the style and fonts.
- The next stage is the creation and framework of the website itself, which implies an interface layout. Then you continue with the mockups, which already remind you of the final product.
- Finally, you make an MVP – a minimal viable product. It is a fully functional prototype that can be released.
- Your job doesn’t stop once the MVP is released. There are always things to work on. Continue developing the website, maintaining it functional and relevant.
What is important to remember?
Never forget that there is no limit. The web designer’s profession requires you to keep your knowledge updated, constantly monitor trends and exciting ideas. Always try to learn something new, do not be afraid to experiment, and add a creative approach to your work, and then you will surely succeed!